SERVPRO Wilson County : What Causes Mold?
What causes mold?
Wilson County (https://www.SERVPROwilsoncounty.com)
Mold can be a huge problem, not just for your house but for your health. If you let mold fester for too long, you may need to completely gut the affected area and replace your drywall for you to be able to safely use your space in the future. Read more to learn what causes mold, the difference between mildew and mold, and how to get rid of it once you spot it in your space.
Mold vs Mildew
To determine whether or not you have mold or mildew present in your space, you’ll first need to run a few tests. The first is the smell test. Mold and mildew both emit a damp, musty smell. Whereas mildew has a rotting wood smell to it, mold has a strong, earthy stink to it. The second test is a visual one; mildew grows very close to the surface whereas mold rises above the surface and often has a roundish shape and growth pattern to it.
Causes of Mold Growth
Mold can grow just about anywhere. Most commonly though, you can find mold growing in areas such as your bathroom, kitchen, basement, cabinets or even near pipes or ducting areas. If you live in an area where humidity is consistently high, you may have a problem with mold. Even if you don’t live in a humid climate, moisture build-up in the air indoors could massively increase mold growth.
If your home is poorly ventilated, it could be a magnet for the growth of mold and the spreading of mold spores. If your basement or foundation has areas of dampness, it could lead to mold spores forming that can only be salvaged by a licensed mold remediation professional.
Getting Rid of Mold
If you’ve spotted mildew, rather than mold, you can clean it up quickly with a 1:10 solution of bleach. You can also use vinegar or a fungicide solution to deal with mildew. If you’ve found that your space has mold, take some pictures and send it to a mold remediation specialist to assess the severity of the mold and plan a course of action.
If the mold is fuzzy and black, it may be much worse than just unsightly. The area should be opened to check for structural damage. This is where having the right safety equipment is absolutely critical to keep you safe and your area free from mold in the future. If you don’t want to take the chance of getting sick from the colorless fumes that emit from toxic black mold spores, then make sure to call SERVPRO Wilson County at (615) 449-5000