Why you should use SERVPRO of Wilson County after a storm
Spring is a wonderful time of year. Unfortunately, Spring can also come with rain, hail, high winds, tornadoes and whatever else Mother Nature has in store. Preparing before a severe storm hits is essential to potentially reducing storm damage to your home. Learn what the best way that you can prepare for an upcoming storm and what to do after a severe storm hits your neighborhood.
Often, by the time we are aware of an approaching storm, we have no time to prepare for it! Luckily, you can take many of the same precautions for storms as you would for other natural disasters which includes doing the following:
- Keep an emergency kit on hand
- Have a plan for where to seek shelter
- Practice your emergency or evacuation plan at least once a year
When the Storm Arrives on Your Doorstep
If you are on alert for an impending storm, here are some additional ways to prepare yourself and your home:
- Secure or store outdoor furniture to stop it from being carried away by the wind
- Ensure that everyone in your family knows how to shut off gas, water, and electricity in the case of a very severe storm
- Ensure that loose branches from trees and bushes around your home are removed
- Make sure your emergency kit is easily accessible and that your communication plan is ready to be activated
Depending on the severity of the storm, you may need to check your home for potential damage – be careful of broken glass, exposed power lines, or other hazards as you do so. If you smell burning or gas, shut off the power or gas valve in your home, and get outside quickly before calling emergency services and your gas company.
Who to Turn to Once the Storm Leaves Town
Knowing how to prepare your home and family before, during, and after a storm can help you stay safe and recover as quickly as possible following any severe weather. If you’ve incurred storm-related damage on your Nashville, TN property then it’s imperative that you call SERVPRO Wilson County at (615) 449-5000 for a fast and effective assessment to help you get your property back to its pre-storm state.