Top 10 Tips for Preventing Mold Damage in a Water Damaged Nashville Home
Mold infestations can begin very shortly after a water damage emergency, in sometimes as little as 48 hours. If your Nashville home is flooded due to burst pipes or a natural disaster, it will greatly benefit you in the long run to do everything you safely can to reduce the amount of permanent damage. Many molds are virtually harmless to human life, while others cause respiratory problems, irritations of the eyes, nose, and throat, or severe infections that cause vomiting and lethargy. Mold also threatens sensitive materials, especially paper and fabrics. Thankfully, a prompt and thorough cleanup will do much to prevent mold damage in Nashville.
1. Increase ventilation by keeping doors and windows open to increase the speed at which standing water evaporates. If you can safely use power, your A/C and fans will help the process.
2. Carpets and pads that have been soaked should be disposed of to allow the flooring to dry faster. You want to give the structural aspects of your house as much breathability as possible.
3. Upholstered furniture, mattresses, and pillows too are difficult to clean and take a long time to dry. Throw them out before they contribute to the amount of moisture in the house, or attract mold damage themselves.
4. Wet wallboard is very likely to facilitate a mold damage invasion, and should be taken down where affected, especially if it has begun to visibly swell or deteriorate.
5. Make copies of any books, papers, and documents that have been soaked as you can, but don't try to keep them in the house. If they aren't important, dispose of them immediately.
6. For vinyl and ceramic floors, mop up any excess water with a disinfecting cleaner. Check underneath them to make sure the layers below haven't been saturated.
7. Draperies and curtains are easier to save than most upholsteries so long as you have them washed or dry cleaned according to their requirements, but don't leave them hanging over your open windows obstructing airflow.
8. Through fans, dehumidifiers, and air circulation, desaturase hardwood floors as best you can. However, don't use heat to dry them, as they'll be damaged and warped.
9. Wet ceiling tiles need to be removed and discarded. Let the space be exposed until it's dry.
10. If you find yourself needing to do all of the above, chances are you need to hire a professional water remediation service. Professionals have the experience, expertise, and tools to efficiently remove all moisture from a house, and are the safest choice for preventing Nashville mold damage and other damages.
When a home suffers a water damage event, a mold infestation can quickly arise and spread throughout a home in 48-72 hours. Because mold can produce allergens and irritants, you will want a professional that has training and experience to properly resolve the mold infestation. For flood damage cleanup, residential cleaning services, household mold removal, serve pro service company, water damage, mold removal, mold removal company, how to get rid of mold, damaged by mold, identifying mold contact SERVPRO of Wilson County. If you suspect that your Nashville home or business has a mold problem, SERVPRO of Wilson County can inspect, assess and remediate your property.