If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (615) 449-5000

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

What Happens During Nashville Fire Damage?

6/18/2015 (Permalink)

When approaching Nashville fire damage, time is of the essence.

What Happens During Fire Damage?

A Nashville fire can happen to anyone; events such as cooking while distracted, malfunctioning heating equipment, smoking in the home, a fallen candle or faulty electrical wiring can quickly cause a devastating fire that can damage the home.

It is important that a homeowner cleans as soon as possible to avoid permanent damage and discoloration. Donning a dusk mask, the homeowner must first ventilate the home by placing a box fan in an open window to draw out air, soot and dust. All carpets, floors and walls must then be dried to prevent mold, mildew and water damage. A SERVPRO technician uses dehumidifiers and large industrial fans for effective drying, and walls and ceilings with water damage must be repaired or replaced.

Soot is next removed from the walls and ceilings before it is possible to effectively clean them. Adequately removing oily soot from draperies, carpets and other household items results in preventable stains. A heavy-duty vacuum is used to remove soot from these items, and a mixture of chemicals is used for certain paints on the walls and ceilings. 

Carpets, furniture and draperies are next deodorized to remove Nashville smoke odor before cleaning. Household deodorizing sprays only provide temporary remedy, and may also interact with smoke odor to create an additional unpleasant odor. A professional restoration technician, like SERVPRO, may use a counteractant or an ozone generator to break up Nashville smoke molecules, which permanently eliminates the odor. Only then are the home and items inside prepared to be cleaned with mild alkaline cleaners, detergents and dry cleaning.

Professional restorers, like SERVPRO, also rid household ducts from trapped smoke odors with various techniques such as thermal fogging or using a chemical sealer. Insulation in the attic may also need to be replaced due to its smoke-retaining properties, which may move through a home in warm weather.

When approaching Nashville fire damage, time is of the essence. Within minutes of fire extinguishment, soot can permanently discolor small appliances, plastics and highly porous materials, and walls, flooring, upholstery and furniture becomes permanently damages within days. Professional consultation, like SERVPRO, along with immediate action after a fire can make a profound difference in restoration, repair and replacement costs, and reduces the time needed to return a home to livable conditions.

  

Locally Owned Company with National Resources

SERVPRO of Wilson County is locally owned and operated and we are proud to be part of this community. We are also part of a national network of over 1,650 Franchises with special Disaster Recovery Teams placed strategically throughout the country to respond to large-scale fire, water, and storm disasters.

We are proud to serve our local communities:

Our expertise in fire damage is extensive. SERVPRO utilizes IICRC training as part of our on-going education to stay ahead of the curve. Call us for help. (615) 449-5000

Other News

View Recent Posts